Hat season

In fact this is the place where I could write about anything I like or dislike. And this October I really wanted to write about my current observations concerning wool, but did not have enough strong will. Another reason was that I would rather do it for myself than for the readers or those leaving comments (which makes me think not well about my knitting and about my blog). I’m not so outgoing and talkative, rather more reserved.

I've recently knitted quite a number of hats (or more generally headdresses). Some of them (as two berets for my father-in-law) are happilly worn by their owners and I do not have their photos. I made another beret for my son, since he wanted to be as goodlooking as his granddad. I must confess that after so many years of knitting I had a problem with a simple and straight flat crowned hat. I got the proper pattern after four sample hats, which more resembled a potato bag than anything you can possibly wear on top of your head.



After that I finished a (so to speak) headdress for my daughter. And I really like the idea of knitting a simple (although a bit tricky to knit) triangle with some lace insertions. This time it was merino, handdyed by Magdalena Wolff (link). The pretty violet and blue skein was a prize I won in a KAL. As my mother has sewn a navy autumn overcoat I though it would combine well with a knited hat. My daughter wears them proudly – both the coat and the headcover – with a small corresponding shawl. I find it very suitable for these days, which are more cloudly and windy than usual in my region.



The last headdress I’d like to show you is a hat for my husband. It was not so easy to design an appropriate hat for him. Usually he rides his bike to work and every other place he needs in the city. For this reason he doesn’t like hats without earcovers. I should also mention that he bikes even when the temperature drops to -10 deg. C.

As I got five beautiful skeins of Brushwork from Andrea (The Fruity Knitting), I decided to knit something for him. It was rather difficult (as always when you do not want to make an earflap hat for your beloved one) to imagine another helmet-like hat, since I have already knitted him more than seven pieces of this kind. I though it would be a good idea to make him a so-called helmet and a neck and upper torso knitted armour.



I have to write that I have never knitted in any yarn like Brushwork. It is very “sheepy”, soft, airy and rustic at the same time. As it produces the most beautifull stockinette stitch, there is no need to find more complicated stitch patterns, but if someone tries, they will be satisfied as well. The fabric is absolutely wonderful. My husband is more sensitive to fabrics than I am, but even he wears his garter accesories close to his skin and does not complain.



I will write more about another hat and my vest projects very soon. Enjoy Wovember and have a nice time and till then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are what you wear

Flower yoke

Swiss knitting time