Speckled

Here I am writing my new post. The very end of June and the first days of July were the travelling time for me and my family, as I wrote in my previous post. We’ve spent a wonderful time in Fribourg, chatting with old friends and walking somewhere in the forests.

Fribourg is our destination every couple of years, but we are more than common visitors. After some time spent there we have special and favourite places e.g. the Natural History Museum. We’ve spent some time checking on the everything that has changed since our last visit. There is always something new to explore in The Natural History Museum. This time there was an exhibition about wolves. Being part of the local university, the museum focuses on the Swiss nature and landscape, so I had a chance to learn more about wolves living in this region (you can do this till 20th August: here ). For the first time I’ve also read that wild boars are not so common in Switzerland as where I live. For me every visit there is a major cultural experience and an opportunity to learn something new about the nature and life beyond town edges.

Another place we visited was St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church, that is the cathedral of Fribourg, which is situated on the crossroads in the centre of the old town. It is not as sophisticated and recognizable as other gothic buildings I have seen, but undoubtedly the only one to be illuminated with Józef Mehoffer’s stained glass windows.


Source: Wikimedia Commons

By the way, Fribourg is one of very few places, where you can find the properly spelled name of Mehoffer: the Polish Józef not Jozef. It took him a long time to finish this piece of decorative art and he carried out detailed historical studies to accomplish the task.

I like studying the colours of light entering the buildings. In fact I find most interesting their interplay when they reach the floor, when you can hardly notice the details of images in stained glass but the rather their speckled variation.

On my way back home and to the Baltic See I started my shawl, for which I picked up my leftovers of coloured yarns. For the very first time I tried do knit in the car (which was obviously not so fun) and tried to understand the kite design for the shawl. Finally, at the Baltic Sea, I finished my DK kite (ravelled here), which reminds me of coloured speckles of the cathedral floor in Fribourg.


Time to start another project. Happy knitting to all of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are what you wear

Flower yoke

Swiss knitting time